Noah’s Birth Story.

July 27th, 37 weeks pregnant- This morning I had gone to my second weekly OB appointment. I was not dilated at all. I was discussing with my OB that he was going to be out of town a couple of days right around our due date. I was a little nervous about it because I really wanted him to deliver for us. During our conversation he told me that he thought I would deliver early, he said he just had a feeling I wouldn’t make it to my due date. I didn’t think to much of it since my body had not started dilating at all yet and with it being my first baby I just thought I would end up going past my due date.

                                                    IMG_0601 IMG_0603

We took my 37 week picture on the 27th. 2 days before meeting our little Noah.

July 28th- This was a Saturday morning and I woke up at about 5:30 having stomach cramps. I call them cramps because that is exactly what they felt like..menstrual cramps. They were bad enough that I couldn’t go back to sleep but didn’t think too much of it. They came off and on throughout the morning and I thought to myself  “I must be having braxton hicks.” Logan and I actually took a nap together later that morning. I did dose off and on for an hour or so, but kept waking up with “cramps”.

That afternoon I went with my sister to run some errands around Derby. She was looking for a dress to wear because she was going out that night for her 22nd birthday, which is on the 31st. We went over to Target and then to Kohls. It wasn’t until we left to go to Target that I decided to start timing my “cramps”. I downloaded and app on my phone and went about our shopping. A couple hours later they were pretty consistant, and coming every 5-7 minutes or so. The intensity was not bad. I could walk, talk and shop 🙂 through them. That night Logan and I had some friends (also neighbors) over for dinner, so during this time I didn’t time any of my “cramps”. Our friends that came over had a 8 month old at the time so I was picking her brain about labor and contractions. We had kind of thought that I was just having braxton hicks contractions. It wasn’t until after they left that night,maybe around 10:00, that the pain became more intense. We cleaned up and got ready for bed. At this time I had been having, what I know now were contractions, for over 12 hours. I fell asleep for maybe less than 30 minutes before I woke up with pain. I was having trouble staying asleep for very long at all. I woke up Logan and decided I would try to take a bath, because I had heard it can stop braxton hicks contractions. They did feel much better while I was in the bath and I thought they had maybe even subsided. All the while Logan was reading on the internet about labor pains and braxton hicks. He did not think that I was in labor and was sure they were braxton hicks. After awhile I got out of the bath and we got back in bed again. The contractions came back and they came back with a vengeance! I couldn’t sleep at all. So we headed out to the living room. Logan slept on the couch and I sat in the chair thinking maybe that would help. Not so much. I did fall asleep off and on but only for about 5 minutes at a time. I was already exhausted. It was probably around midnight at this time. I started timing my contractions again. They were coming every 4-5 minutes and lasting 40-50 seconds each time. I realized shortly after this that sleeping was NOT going to happen. So I gave up and decided I might as well do something. I ended up starting some laundry of Noah’s that I still needed to do. At this point I think I was preparing as if this may be the real deal. I was in such denial all day. I only had told Logan, my sister (because I saw her), and our friends we had over. I didn’t want to make a big deal about it if they ended up just being practice labor. Needless to say my mom was not happy about this. Sorry Mom! 🙂 I was thankful we had got Noah’s car seat out and put in the car earlier that night!

Once Logan realized I was not able to sleep at all he woke up and sat with me. The contractions were very intense at this point and would make me hurl over and I could not talk through them anymore. Sometime between 1 and 2 we decided to call my OB office and talked to the nurse about my symptoms. She suggested I take some benadryl and it should get better if they are braxton hicks. So Logan went to dillons and got me some benadryl. It wasn’t too long after taking it,around 3 am, when I felt what I thought may be my water breaking. I wasn’t quite sure at first but it continued to leak and at that point we knew we would be making a trip to the hospital. I was actually so excited that my water broke. I had always kind of hope that I would get to experience that, and then there is no question as to what was happening. We were in such denial! After this I jumped in the shower, I had to get myself ready to have a baby, you know! 🙂 Logan packed our bags and Noah’s bag. I was doing pretty good until around 4:30 or so the pain was getting bad and at that point I WANTED to be at the hospital!

IMG_0605 IMG_0607

We took one final picture right before leaving for the hospital!

Logan was so concerned with me “leaking” onto the seat in the car. He put a towel down with a trash bag over it. So we’re on our way to the hospital I am having serious contractions and sitting on a stupid trash bag that my legs kept sticking to. About halfway there I grabbed that bag and wanted to just throw it at him. I tried to keep my cool because I know he felt bad and didn’t want to upset me.

We got to the hospital around 5am. I had now been having contractions for 24 hours. They admitted us shortly after we arrived. Thay had me change into a gown so they could get me checked out. After their assessment they said my water had broke and I was not dilated at all. WHAT! What do you mean NOT DILATED? This has been going on for 24 hours, painful for the last few, my water broke and I’ve done nothing!?! I was so discouraged! Thankfully my water had broke though, so they had to keep me. They had planned on giving me a foley bulb that would help get me dilated to about a 3. I was in pain and could not imagine them putting something in me to MAKE me dilate. I was scared. At this point I knew I would be wanting an epidural (I had thought I would attempt without). Ha! It didn’t take me long to change my mind on that one. Well it took the resident awhile to get back in my room and so thankfully I ended up dilating on my own to 4 in less than an hour! Thank you Lord! After this I was able to get my epidural pretty quick. I was a little scared but knew I would rather go through that then continue with labor pains. The epidural went great and I felt relief immediately. I know some women have labor and delivery without any pain medicine and I respect that SO much. I wish I could have but in no way do I regret getting that epidural! I was relaxed and completely enjoyed the rest of my delivery. It was amazing!!


By now we had called all of our families to let them know, Noah would be making his arrival today! That was such a fun moment! Within the next couple hours family started to arrive. We have such amazing parents,grandparents, and siblings. They all came and stuck around all day to see the newest member of our family.

IMG_0625 IMG_0624 IMG_0609

My labor continued to progress. They did give me small amounts of pitocen to help speed things up since they slowed a little after my epidural. There was concern throughout my labor of Noah’s heart rate decreasing a considerable amount every time I would have a contraction. This worried me some because they had mentioned a c-section a couple times. I wanted them to do what was best for Noah and I, but I really did not want a c-section. I wanted so much to experience a natural (not drug-free) birth. Thankfully I made it to 10 cm and was able to start pushing. To me the day went by pretty fast and it didn’t feel like I had to push for very long. Since Noah decided to come on a Sunday our OB was not on call and another OB in the practice was there for our delivery. We had a great experience with him even though he wasn’t our Dr. Luckily I think all the docs in our OB practice are really great and have great reputations. Noah made his arrival at 5:23 pm, almost 36 hours exactly since having my first contraction. Logan was able to cut the umbilical cord, and then they took him over to check his vitals and clean him up a bit. I did not get to have him chest to chest right away since he was early. They had the neonatal nurses there to make sure he did not need any further treatment. It didn’t take too long before I got to hold our perfect little angel for the first time.

IMG_0732IMG_0663 IMG_0643IMG_0640 IMG_0639IMG_0636IMG_0628


Noah was born at 5:23 pm, 5 lbs 11 oz, 19.5 in long and perfect in every way.

I loved every minute of my labor and delivery. It was amazing and I would have gladly done it again the next day if they had asked me to. Part of me was so sad that it was over. I was happy to have our baby in my arms but emotionally had not preprared myself for that. Even if he would have waited until his due date, i may have still felt like that. I am such a sentimental and emotional person, I just wanted to stay in that moment forever. Then when you add in all the post pregnancy hormones I was an emotional wreck for at least the first 2 weeks. I couldn’t even look at our deliver pictures without crying my eyes out. Thankfully this emotional distraught worked itself out and I did start to feel like myself again.

We made our families wait a full hour before coming in to room and seeing us. I know it was killing them to wait but I wanted to have him chest to chest and just enjoy our first hour of becoming a family of 3. What a precious hour that was. I’m so glad we took this time to ourselves, just to soak up those very first minutes of our little guys life. After that we were thrilled to have our families come in to meet Noah for the first time.

IMG_0690 IMG_0676 IMG_0707 IMG_0693 IMG_0681 IMG_0704 IMG_0717 IMG_0753

I looked so exhausted and swollen! Also I was starving! I couldn’t eat anything once we arrived at the hospital, so by time I ate it had been over 24 hours!

We arrived at the hospital on Sunday morning,delivered Sunday afternoon and didn’t get to go home until Thursday. It seemed like forever. They kept us longer since Noah was having so many issues eating they wanted to make sure that he would gain weight okay. I was thankful to have the help while we were there but by thursday we were SOOO ready to go home! These are just some pictures we took while hanging out in our room those first few days after he was born.

IMG_1251 IMG_1242 IMG_1241 IMG_1239 IMG_1223 IMG_1225

IMG_0825 IMG_1238

IMG_0772 IMG_0811

I love this sweet picture of Noah sleeping in his momma’s arms. Even though our OB wasn’t able to deliver for us, he came in to check on us and meet Noah. 🙂


Sister came up to visit her new nephew on her birthday, he was 2 days old!

     IMG_0834 IMG_0833

Our little family about to go home!

IMG_0827 IMG_0835

Noah’s first car ride,heading home! Our lives just got a whole lot more interesting!! 🙂


I had to take a picture of our announcement to get it on here, so they look a little funny. I made our own announcements and LOVED them, still do 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s